Thoughts on Perl6

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 02:17:45 MDT 2005

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that unicode is a bad thing, all I'm
saying is that it's my only major reservation to migrating once it's
here, or recommending it for that matter.
It's not so much ME "outsourcing" an app to India, Sri-Lanka or wherever.
I don't know about you guys, but umm I'ld say at least 50-60% of my
income as a contract programmer (when I CAN actually land a contract
anymore) involves, modifying some already existing codebase, usually
some open source app, that does 90% of whats needed and I just add that
little extra 10% or so, but I'ld also say at least 25% of my programming
time is spent FIXING, apps that were originally sent to some offshore
outsourcing firm, for peanuts and maybe a bag of chips, that firm then
botches the job royaly and I'm hired to "make it work".

Sorry but in those cases the idea of having to look at 1,000,000 lines
of code in Sinhalese much less debug it, sends a shiver down my spine,
not that Sinhalese or pretty much any written language is ugly, it's
just that I have no basis of comparison, and therefore no idea what one
function may be trying to do over another, especially when you consider
the entire font set may be comprised of a few thousand symbols all of
which look pretty much alike.

Anyways just my thoughts, not trying to sound racist or perpetuate
stereotypes, I do realize there are many, many talented and proficient
programmers out there, alot of whom could code circles around me. :)