Interesting Quote (please kill me)

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Fri Aug 12 12:46:22 MDT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:31:45 -0600, "Stuart Jansen"
<sjansen at buscaluz.org> said:

> > > Perhaps you don't know enough about Perl to criticize it.
> >
> > Heh.
>
> That's not a response.

You're right; that was a strong suspicion that I know perl a lot better
than you know most of the languages you've implicitly and explicitly
criticized, but I didn't want to make this into a pissing match.

I've contributed patches to open source perl projects (e.g.
popbeforesmtp).  I've fixed bugs in URPMI (mandrake's perl-based
apt-alike) that were killing my upgrade.  I've written thousand-line
programs.  In short, I know less perl than Damian Conway but more than
enough to realize that it sucks for all but small projects that don't
need to be maintained.

Now it's my turn to be sarcastic.

> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 11:17 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> > Fantastic.  Now where does its world-dominant string support help turn
> > my data back into an object easier than

> So that's a built in behavior of your favorite language? This is a
> trivial thing to do with various libraries in many languages.

Trivial?  I've contributed code to two Python ORM tools (PyDO2 and
SqlObject) and I'm pretty familiar (or was, a couple years ago) with the
internals of the Java SimpleORM.  I wouldn't say this is a trivial
problem.  On deep experience with which ORM codebases do you base this
assertion?  I'd like to know who has solved the problem so completely
and thorougly that you describe a subject on which many PhD theses have
been written as "trivial."

Or were you just talking out your ass again?

But that doesn't really address the original question here.  Again:
where does perl's world-dominant string support help turn my data back
into an object easier than this?

-Jonathan