Interesting Quote

Stuart Jansen sjansen at
Fri Aug 12 11:58:53 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 10:12 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> - some languages are better for specific purposes (e.g. erlang and
> concurrency)

And manipulation of binary data. Erlang was obviously not designed to
deal with strings.

> - some languages are better generalists than others, too
> Perl is a good awk + sed replacement.  The problem is when people start
> using it as a generalist language because they don't know better.

Show me a good generalist language. I'd argue that for one of the most
common operations today, Perl is hands down the winner: string

Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: sjansen at

using enough of it." - Chris Maden