Interesting Quote

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Aug 12 11:22:48 MDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Hans Fugal wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 at 10:05 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:02:38 -0600, "Levi Pearson" <levi at cold.org>
>> said:
>>
>>> C++ has something of the TMTOWTDI philosophy as well.
>>>

>> Yes.  That's a large reason why most companies (outside of the
>> obvious
>> specialized areas) have been moving away from C++ for years.
>>

> ... to Java and other OO languages who also provide the very TMTOWTDI
> points that Levi mentioned (e.g. polymorphism)?

Yes, let's not forget that Java now has generics, introspection, and
some halfway-broken functional programming features, too.   Is it
time for the industry to find a new, even more confining language?
Or do we need to work on the process of designing programs and
building teams to do it with?  I'll be the first to vote for research
into new languages, but not ones that are more confining.  I want
freedom along with the ability to perform some automatic reasoning
about the code I write, the way I choose to write it.

They aren't moving away from C++ because it provides multiple ways of
doing things, they're moving away because it's got a lot of hard-to-
reason-about interactions between the different abstraction layers it
exposes.  C++ is broken that way, but has some very usable components
that, with proper team discipline and coding guides, could be a very
effective language.

         --Levi