Interesting Quote

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Aug 12 11:16:00 MDT 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 at 10:12 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> This is the standard argument used to defend stuff that sucks.  Yes, all
> languages are turing complete.  Nevertheless,
>
> - some languages are better for specific purposes (e.g. erlang and
> concurrency)
> - some languages are better generalists than others, too
>
> Perl is a good awk + sed replacement.  The problem is when people start
> using it as a generalist language because they don't know better.

Which, while I'm in the strange mood to defend languages I don't care
about, is why people shouldn't bash Java so much. Java actually does fit
the bill in some situations. It just so happens that most of us on this
list like to at least dream of writing open source, and most of us do
write code in small agile teams (if at all). Java isn't a very wise
choice (IMHO) for either situation.