Interesting Quote

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Fri Aug 12 11:07:24 MDT 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 11:06 am, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> > IMO, perl is pretty far out on the spectrum from the 'nearly self
> > documenting' language holy grail.
> >
> > In my experience, if I have to read a line of code more than once to
> > understand it, it's poor code and is taking up my time.
>
> So you're okay with spending half an hour and tens of lines to
> accomplish what can be done in three lines of Perl?

It's a bit like comparing TCO for Linux vs Windows.

That 3-lines of compressed perl code might cost more than half an hour for the
person that has to learn it/alter it/whatever.
An initial half hour for 10 clear lines of code that require *no* struggle to
understand by a maintainer is a well spent investment.
Additionally, anything harder to understand is more likely to leave a window
open for bugs.

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe