Interesting Quote

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Fri Aug 12 11:05:10 MDT 2005

On 08/12/05 10:48, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 09:33 -0700, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> Since we seem to be firing up another burner on the grill, lets bring
> Java back into things. J2EE is just as complicated as Perl (and in fact
> more so). If you're going to argue that Perl is a bad language because
> its complicated, you're going to have to agree that J2EE is a bad
> technology because its complicated.

Coming from the point of view of one who has spent a decent amount of
time programming in Java (though only a little in J2EE) and is still a
n00b at Perl, here's what I perceive:

	Java:   Structured, wordy, can be good in certain situations
		where structure and patterns are important such as large
		team environments.  Not well suited for scripting, or
		for that matter, anything that needs to be done quickly.
		Memory hog.

	J2EE:   Complicated.  Not very fun. Again, I have little
		experience (one class @ BYU), but I'd rather do PHP.
		Said to be scalable.

	php:    Nice in many ways, but it gets the job done. Often
		poorly designed (register_globals) and often abused by
		n00b web developers.  I worked as a sysadmin in a web
		development shop and wow, can php be abused.  But then
		again, so can everything else.

	perl:   Powerful. quick to code in, hard to learn well enough to
		write good code.  I'd like to learn it for the
		usefulness of it and the fact that as a sysadmin I see
		it all the time.  It's also on just about every *nix
		system out there. I'd rather code in Python.

	python: Powerful. combines much of what I like about Java and
		PHP.  Whitespace delimiting isn't really all that hard
		to get used to, though copying code can be a pain.
		Not perfect, though very nice.

Each language has positives and negatives; each has environments where
it functions best.  People will have their preferred language; it is
often chosen based both on how they were trained and how they think
naturally.  I choose python for scripting and php for web development,
though I'd like to look into python web toolkits at some point.  I have
no formal training in either - my formal training is in BASIC, C, C++,
SAS, and Java (in that order).

My 2 cents Stricklandian,
--Tyler