"Enterprise-class" (was RE: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!)

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:44:18 MDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Michael Halcrow <mike at halcrow.us> wrote:
> I learned Java as my very first OO language back in '96, so it holds a
> special place in my heart as my first OO love. It has since been
> replaced by a younger, more sexy O'Caml. My primary complaint about
> Java is the fact that it seems as if every vendor that ships a Java
> application also includes a particular JVM that is the only one that
> can actually run that application. Given that fact, something like GCJ
> makes a lot of sense.

I totally agree.  I dislike the fact that so many java apps come
bundled with a 15M JVM included.  Granted this make things easy on the
person installing, but it's a wasteful way to distribute software.
Could you imagine everyone who shipped a perl app bundling the perl
runtime?  GCJ will help because everyone already has it, and if a
newer version is needed, yum/apt/emerge will get it.  However, I think
that Apache's Harmony JVM will end up being a better long term OSS
solution for Java.  But either way (GCJ or Harmony) an open-source JVM
would really help cut down on the need to distribute a JVM with your
app.

Read more about Harmony here:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5798290.html

-Bryan