"Enterprise-class" (was RE: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!)

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Thu Aug 11 13:03:48 MDT 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 12:48 pm, Dennis wrote:
> Perhaps a good discussion from here would entail which technologies have
> these features.. or how to obtain these features with different
> technologies.  For instance, we've already heard about
> apache+struts+jboss+etc. etc....  Yes, Walmart, Ebay and others use
> Java.  There are some pretty large companies using perl too.  What do
> those companies use for transaction management etc.  PHP, Python, Ruby?
> How do you cluster sessions with Rails, or does it have it?  Are there
> certain things certain languages/platforms just can't do yet?
>
> I think this would be valuable information from those that know.

I would be interested especially in different approaches to implementing
failover.  Are there any frameworks that can provide this transparently to
the application?

For storage, I know there is MySQL cluster, but it requires using tables w/the
cluster engine, which is not the same as Innodb--where all the goody features
are.  So, it has to either be done in the application layer at the dispatch,
or underneath via the network infrastructure (tricks with dns, routing
tables, whatever).

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe