Java salary

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:56:55 MDT 2005

On 8/11/05, dataw0lf <digitalsuicide at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > In 2003, BYU CS graduates earned an average of $48K upon graduating. I
> > wish I knew the median, standard deviation, and geographies, but I don't.
> > Probably at least half of the grades took jobs outside of Utah. I think
> > your $45K figure is too low. I would put the average Java developer with
> > 3-5 years experience at $60-70K, and $80K would be in the stratosphere.
>
> Those figures sound about right.  $45K sounds more like a PHP
> developer's salary to me.  ;)

I decided to chime in since we're discussing salaries.

I've found that any discussion of salaries before a company has made
the decision to hire can only hurt you.  I've done the following twice
- here's a scenario:

In the first interview you're asked about salary expectations.  My
response would be something like, "I'm sure that you'll make a fair
and equitable offer if you decide I'm the candidate for the position."

How can giving a number here help you?  If pressed, the interviewer
should give you a salary range budgeted for the position, not the
other way around.

After follow up interviews you're offered the job, with salary offer
$n per year.
My response: "Is that the best you can do?" (I'm being sincere at this
point.  Any hint of sarcasm will hurt using this response.)

If the individual making the offer has been authorized to offer more,
he/she now has a chance to increase the offer.  I've also helped
establish that I feel my value as an employee to the hiring
organization is above average.

--
Lars