"Enterprise-class" (was RE: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!)

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Aug 11 12:52:29 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 12:36 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> * No vedor-lockin - can an enterprise migrate to another vedor (or OSS
> solution) easily?

This one is an interesting one.  Although there are lots of j2ee
compliant containers and servers, it's all, under the hood, Sun Java.
So you can pick whatever vendor you want, so long as it is Sun.
Obviously there are now finally VMs that can run Java bytecode that
aren't from Sun*, such as IBM, or even GCJ, and eventually we'll have a
full OSS system.  At which point J2EE finally will fit this definition
of "enterprise-class" that you mention.  I think that when most market-
speakers talk of this "vendor lock-in" thing, they are referring to
underlying hardware/OS platform.  However it is definitely worth
remembering that the Java platform itself does is one vendor.

Michael

* No blackdown doesn't count.