"Enterprise-class" (was RE: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!)

Dennis devel at muhlesteins.com
Thu Aug 11 12:48:52 MDT 2005

Bryan Sant wrote:

>On 8/11/05, JStay at mediageneral.com <JStay at mediageneral.com> wrote:
>

>>>If we avoid the trap of equating "enterprise class" with
>>>J2EE, then yes, Spyce is enterprise-class.  I'm sure I could
>>>design a site to serve a million db-backed pages per day from
>>>a single server (http +
>>>db) in Spyce, because I've already built one in another
>>>interpreted language (TCL) that is somewhat more feeble (and
>>>marginally slower) than Python.  Is that enterprise-class enough?
>>>

>>I've never really understood the definition of "Enterprise-class"
>>either.  I think it means being extremely scalable, the ability to span
>>across multiple servers in multiple locations (geographically), and the
>>ability for multiple other systems to communicate with each other.  Am I
>>wrong on this?  What is the exact definition of "Enterprise-class"?  I
>>work for an enterprise and we use multiple languages for different
>>purposes - does that count?  I'd be interested to hear people's
>>definitions.
>>

>Here be the definition:
>
>* Highly scalable - both vertically and horizontally.
>* Highly available - fault tolerant.
>* Enterpise Information System (EIS) integration - legacy systems,
>mainframes, databases (note more than one at a time),
>message-oriented-middleware.
>* Built-in transaction management -- relying on the database for
>transactions is no good when dealing with more than one database or
>EIS in a single buisness transaction.
>* Support for async component models -- can you write message-driven components?
>* High Manageability - can you query the running software for stats
>and vitals?  Can you swap out one version of a component with another
>without need to bring the entire system down?
>* Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) capable - webservices, CORBA, REST, RMI?
>* Highly performant - can it handle 10k connections per second?
>* No vedor-lockin - can an enterprise migrate to another vedor (or OSS
>solution) easily?

Perhaps a good discussion from here would entail which technologies have
these features.. or how to obtain these features with different
technologies.  For instance, we've already heard about
apache+struts+jboss+etc. etc....  Yes, Walmart, Ebay and others use
Java.  There are some pretty large companies using perl too.  What do
those companies use for transaction management etc.  PHP, Python, Ruby?
How do you cluster sessions with Rails, or does it have it?  Are there
certain things certain languages/platforms just can't do yet?

I think this would be valuable information from those that know.

Dennis