"Enterprise-class" (was RE: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!)

Dennis devel at muhlesteins.com
Thu Aug 11 12:40:35 MDT 2005

Charles Curley wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 01:52:07PM -0400, JStay at mediageneral.com wrote:
>

>>I've never really understood the definition of "Enterprise-class"
>>either.  I think it means being extremely scalable, the ability to span
>>across multiple servers in multiple locations (geographically), and the
>>ability for multiple other systems to communicate with each other.  Am I
>>wrong on this?  What is the exact definition of "Enterprise-class"?  I
>>work for an enterprise and we use multiple languages for different
>>purposes - does that count?  I'd be interested to hear people's
>>definitions.
>>

>It's a marketing buzzword. It means exactly one thing: expensive.

For me, if I hear the buzzword though, I at least expect I can do
replication/failover/clustering at both the DBMS and Web tier.  I don't
necessarily associate the buzzword with expensive though.  There are OSS
technologies that have "Enterprise" features.  I do agree, however, that
some companies use the buzzword and then provide a checklist of things
that either don't matter or that you can get anywhere, and then charge a
lot.

Dennis