"Enterprise-class" (was RE: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!)

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:36:50 MDT 2005

On 8/11/05, JStay at mediageneral.com <JStay at mediageneral.com> wrote:
> > If we avoid the trap of equating "enterprise class" with
> > J2EE, then yes, Spyce is enterprise-class.  I'm sure I could
> > design a site to serve a million db-backed pages per day from
> > a single server (http +
> > db) in Spyce, because I've already built one in another
> > interpreted language (TCL) that is somewhat more feeble (and
> > marginally slower) than Python.  Is that enterprise-class enough?
>
> I've never really understood the definition of "Enterprise-class"
> either.  I think it means being extremely scalable, the ability to span
> across multiple servers in multiple locations (geographically), and the
> ability for multiple other systems to communicate with each other.  Am I
> wrong on this?  What is the exact definition of "Enterprise-class"?  I
> work for an enterprise and we use multiple languages for different
> purposes - does that count?  I'd be interested to hear people's
> definitions.

Here be the definition:

* Highly scalable - both vertically and horizontally.
* Highly available - fault tolerant.
* Enterpise Information System (EIS) integration - legacy systems,
mainframes, databases (note more than one at a time),
message-oriented-middleware.
* Built-in transaction management -- relying on the database for
transactions is no good when dealing with more than one database or
EIS in a single buisness transaction.
* Support for async component models -- can you write message-driven components?
* High Manageability - can you query the running software for stats
and vitals?  Can you swap out one version of a component with another
without need to bring the entire system down?
* Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) capable - webservices, CORBA, REST, RMI?
* Highly performant - can it handle 10k connections per second?
* No vedor-lockin - can an enterprise migrate to another vedor (or OSS
solution) easily?

-Bryan