Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:14:03 MDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Jonathan Ellis <jonathan at carnageblender.com> wrote:
> Fantastic.  Meanwhile, Microsoft continues to eat Sun's lunch by
> providing solutions that

The market statistics I've show would suggest otherwise.  Dispiste you
so predictably falling for the Microsoft marketing machine, and
assuming that because you see so many flash advertisements for .NET
that it must be doing well, .NET has been a significant flop for
Microsoft.  Microsoft even admits this.  Not that .NET is a bad
platform in and of itself, but poeple are NOT adopting it like MS
expected.  The market demand is grossly weighed in favor of Java.
Granted this doesn't mean that Sun is the primary bennefactor.  IBM,
BEA, Oracle, JBoss and others are all doing better in the market than
Sun.  But Sun is not Java.  Sun is a member of the Java Community
Process board, and they happen to make a high-quality implemenation of
the Java specification...  But so does GNU, and IBM, and Apache is
working on one to rule them all.

I guess I know where you're coming from.  MS is typically a safe bet
for market domination; however, in the case of enterprise software, MS
is getting slapped around by Java vendors big time.  *QUEUE*
Linux/UNIX lovers to rally behind Java and squash MS's efforts in this
market segment for good...  But no...  The slashdot crowd is so out of
touch with market forces, they'd rather bash Java in favor of
name-your-favorite-obscure-technology that will never stand a chance
against MS like Java does.

> Ahh, the price of simplicity...

Amen.  Simplicy is king.  The solution to any problem should be as
simple as possible.  The key is "as possible".  Visual Baisc is
simple, but it's not *possible* to meet the needs of enterprise apps
with it.  I would say that Struts/JSF+Axis+Spring+Hibernate is the
most simple yet capable approach to enterprise software available.

-Bryan