"Enterprise-class" (was RE: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!)

JStay at mediageneral.com JStay at mediageneral.com
Thu Aug 11 11:52:07 MDT 2005

> If we avoid the trap of equating "enterprise class" with
> J2EE, then yes, Spyce is enterprise-class.  I'm sure I could
> design a site to serve a million db-backed pages per day from
> a single server (http +
> db) in Spyce, because I've already built one in another
> interpreted language (TCL) that is somewhat more feeble (and
> marginally slower) than Python.  Is that enterprise-class enough?

I've never really understood the definition of "Enterprise-class"
either.  I think it means being extremely scalable, the ability to span
across multiple servers in multiple locations (geographically), and the
ability for multiple other systems to communicate with each other.  Am I
wrong on this?  What is the exact definition of "Enterprise-class"?  I
work for an enterprise and we use multiple languages for different
purposes - does that count?  I'd be interested to hear people's
definitions.

Jesse