Web Languages

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Aug 11 10:41:43 MDT 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Eric Jensen wrote:

> There has been a lot of talk about different languages for web
> apps.  I
> decided to make a fun project for myself and re-create my personal
> blog
> manager in several different languages to try and get a great feel for
> what is out there.  Right now my only experience in the last 6
> years is
> with PHP and Perl.  So far I have been strictly a web programmer
> and am
> very happy with that.  Here is the list I have managed to gather from
> recent plug threads, but correct me if I'm wrong on any of them and
> please recommend more:
>
> Ruby on Rails
> Perl Catalyst
> JSF
> Lisp

For Common Lisp, there are a few different web server and web
framework packages.  I'm using TBNL right now, with mod_lisp, which
connects apache with a long-running lisp process.  There's also
UnCommon Web, which has some cool features like continuation-based
development.   There's a tutorial video on it that is linked from
here: http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050727.html

For Scheme, there are a number of different web packages for
different schemes.  I've heard the web frameworks in SISC Scheme and
PLT Scheme are pretty good, but there may be more good ones.

Another cool option is Smalltalk with the Seaside package.  It's
another, and one of the first, continuation-based web application
packages.  You can find seaside at http://seaside.st/

> Python Spyce
> SASH
> D (not sure this really is for web apps, but I've heard intersting
> things about the language in general)

If you mean Digital Mars D, then it'd be a little better for making
CGI scripts than C++, which is to say that I probably wouldn't think
about it unless I had serious performance needs.

         --Levi