[waste of bandwidth] Re: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 18:40:41 MDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Jonathan Ellis <jonathan at carnageblender.com> wrote:
> Oooh!  Proof by popularity!  I think I know this one!  That's the one
> that prooves that Windows is the best OS, right?

No.  I will hold Windows to the same standard.  Again let's consult Dice.com:

# of UNIX jobs - 11263
# of Windows Server jobs - 5115

This simple statistic is why I dumped my MCSE and Windows skills from
my resume.  Firstly, I hate working with Windows and would never do
it, but two, there is WAY more demand and money in UNIX (aka - Linux).

> In ~1980 Dice would have been full of openings for COBOL programmers.

OK.

> To put it a slightly different way, consider the quality of the jobs as
> well as the quantity.  Most java jobs are "come be an interchangeable
> cog" type stuff.  If that's not your thing, your odds are much better
> with smaller companies that are aware of the better options instead of
> standardizing on Java because, well, it's "the standard."

Some people don't like standards.  To each his own.

> Incidently, I did Java (on the desktop--where in a lot of ways it's a
> great choice) for 3 years.  These days I'm on my 2nd full-time Python
> position.

That's awesome.  I'm not being sarcastic.  I honestly think that's
great that you're making a living doing what you love.  Consequently,
so am I.

-Bryan