Java salary

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 18:33:16 MDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Sasha Pachev <sasha at asksasha.com> wrote:
>  > According to the JavaPro 2002 salary survey the average Java developer
>  > makes 84K.  The average Java developer polled in Utah makes $82K.  I
>  > don't have stats for the other languages.  Maybe everone else on the
>  > list is making 100K and I'm an idiot.
>
> Brian:
>
> The number does not sound right to me. How many Java developers did they find in
> Utah? Did they have some kind of a filter on the years of experience, or a
> special set of other skills?
>
> I personally would expect no more than $45K here for the average guy who only
> knows Java. Especially in 2002, the job market was down.

"Our average Java programmer this year is a 36-year-old man (compared
to 33 years old last year) with at least a bachelor's degree. He's
been a professional programmer for nine years and a Java programmer
for two and a half. (Californians have been programming in Java longer
than any other demographic group, except for people with Sun
certifications.) Our typical programmer has been with his current
employer for 3–4 years."

Read more here:
http://www.ftponline.com/javapro/2002_06/magazine/features/salarysurvey/

-Bryan