[OT] News in the valley...

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Wed Aug 10 18:01:50 MDT 2005

>Do a google search for +halifax +explosion.  A ship full of
>explosives exploded (several hudred thousand pounds of TNT).

ah, yes - i remember reading about this.  seems like a bigger explosion to
me, but perhaps because it wasn't on land, maybe it doesn't count on a
technicality.  that's a shame - it doesn't seem right.

the halifax explosion was one of the worst industrial accidents in recorded
history - but i believe the one with the most fatilities is the chemical
plant leak in india: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

in 1984, a union carbide plant leaked a bunch of pesticide and killed many,
many thousands of people.

i think it's topical, so if you havent already checked out my crappy
homepage quiz about work-related deaths, now may be a good time:
http://jcoates.org/quiz-2.php

woohoo!

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org