[waste of bandwidth] Re: Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Wed Aug 10 17:14:49 MDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:45:50 -0600, "Bryan Sant" <bryan.sant at gmail.com>
said:
> On 8/10/05, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> > right along to Java users, they're clinically depressed. Friends don't
> > let friends use Java.
> >
> > The best choice between A) Struts B) Spring & C) Tapestry is
> > D) update your resume and find a better job.
>
> Sigh.  More of the "d00d, java is for the suxorz" comments.
>
> I totally agree.  Java sucks.  I mean, why would you want to use Java
> anyway?  It's not like every major banking site in the world uses it.

Oooh!  Proof by popularity!  I think I know this one!  That's the one
that prooves that Windows is the best OS, right?

> As far as choosing your option "D", that would be about the worst
> career move you could make.  Do I need to post another Dice.com job
> status update?  I think I do:
>
> # of Java jobs - 11893
> # of C++ jobs - 6602
> # of Perl jobs - 3642
> # of C# jobs - 3386
> # of PHP jobs - 651
> # of Python jobs - 365
> # of Ruby jobs - 42

In ~1980 Dice would have been full of openings for COBOL programmers.

To put it a slightly different way, consider the quality of the jobs as
well as the quantity.  Most java jobs are "come be an interchangeable
cog" type stuff.  If that's not your thing, your odds are much better
with smaller companies that are aware of the better options instead of
standardizing on Java because, well, it's "the standard."

Check out indeed.com for a cool way to keep tabs on what's out there.
(E.g., http://rss.indeed.com/rss/q/Python/l/Utah)

Incidently, I did Java (on the desktop--where in a lot of ways it's a
great choice) for 3 years.  These days I'm on my 2nd full-time Python
position.

-Jonathan