Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Dennis devel at muhlesteins.com
Wed Aug 10 16:44:21 MDT 2005

Kimball Larsen wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:29:50 -0600, "Bryan Sant"  <bryan.sant at gmail.com>
>> said:
>>
>>> You need to use XDoclet or Java 5 annotations.  You only maintain  Java
>>> source files (who happen to have to struts config embedded).  It
>>> really is simple.
>>>

>> Mostly for my own amusement, I'd like to take this space to note
>> parenthetically how vastly different the J2EE community's  definition of
>> "simple" is from mine. :)
>>

> heh.  I prefer simple simple, not j2EE simple any day.

Me too.. KISS.  That is why I've traded my Struts libraries for a simple
set of tag libs that I developed myself.  I can do form validation,html
input rendering, and error handling all with some extremely simple tag
files and common JSTL components.  The best part is, if I change
something, I don't have to reload the web app.  It's much easier to
maintain and in my opinion, works just as well.  (Yes, for you struts
gurus, I even have a tag that prevents double submits.)

> So, it appears most of the plug is divided - java vs. other goop.
>
> I have a lot of java experience.
>
> I have some other goop experience.
>
> Besides denouncing and pointing out the failings of the various java
> based approaches, what merits are there to something like ruby on rails?

It's simple.  At least that's what it appears to be, and the source of
my interest in exploring it further.

> I'm not forced into anything yet, but my dev team is comprised
> completely of java coders for now.  What sorts of learning curve can
> they expect in moving to something like Ruby?  If they quit/get fired/
> hit by a truck, how hard will it be to find someone proficient in
> Ruby to replace them?

The more you keep it simple, the more interchangeable things are.  It
takes a lot to learn a new framework on a different platform.  You
probably have to pay someone more who is experienced in that platform
already in the case of Struts.

-Dennis