Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Wed Aug 10 16:35:38 MDT 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:29:50 -0600, "Bryan Sant"
> <bryan.sant at gmail.com>
> said:
>
>> You need to use XDoclet or Java 5 annotations.  You only maintain
>> Java
>> source files (who happen to have to struts config embedded).  It
>> really is simple.
>>

> Mostly for my own amusement, I'd like to take this space to note
> parenthetically how vastly different the J2EE community's
> definition of
> "simple" is from mine. :)

heh.  I prefer simple simple, not j2EE simple any day.

So, it appears most of the plug is divided - java vs. other goop.

I have a lot of java experience.

I have some other goop experience.

Besides denouncing and pointing out the failings of the various java
based approaches, what merits are there to something like ruby on rails?

I'm not forced into anything yet, but my dev team is comprised
completely of java coders for now.  What sorts of learning curve can
they expect in moving to something like Ruby?  If they quit/get fired/
hit by a truck, how hard will it be to find someone proficient in
Ruby to replace them?

-- Kimball