Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Dennis devel at muhlesteins.com
Wed Aug 10 16:34:31 MDT 2005

Bryan Sant wrote:

>On 8/10/05, Dennis <devel at muhlesteins.com> wrote:
>

>>I've used xdoclet for hibernate and tried it with Struts.  The
>>application used a lot of things that xdoclet didn't support.  Perhaps
>>that has changed since I wrote it.  The point I was trying to make is
>>that some frameworks don't have to mess with as much xml.   Even if you
>>use xdoclet, you still have to understand the xml, and then you have to
>>understand xdoclet, then you have an additional layer of debugging to
>>find out what is wrong if something doesn't work.
>>

>Curious.  What things did you used that xdoclet did not support?
>Could you give an example?

I don't have time right now to go back and check, but IIRC, modules,
validator stuff, DynaActionForms, tiles were things XDoclet didn't have
an equiv tag for.  ie, you could generate a forward that goes to a tiles
definition, but you couldn't generate a tiles definition.  As I
mentioned before, this could be different now.  I'm sure XDoclet has
continued it's development since I last attempted it's usage.

>>On a side note, I'm not of the crowd, but there is a crowd that will
>>argue that xdoclet is of the devil :) :) and causes more pain than it's
>>worth.
>>

>I'm in that camp.  I think that code generation is generally evil (but
>I do think it's 100 times better than hand-crafting XML config files).
> Java 5 annotations address my concerns completely.  So if you're
>working on a project that is pre-Java 5 then you'll have to settle for
>xdoclet, otherwise, use annotations (a.k.a. metadata).

I'm using Java 5 but haven't checked annotations out although I have
read about them.  I'll have to look into it more.