[OT] News in the valley...

Josh Coates jcoates at archive.org
Wed Aug 10 16:07:55 MDT 2005

>Truck was carrying 58,000 lbs of explosives.  Crater is 60ft wide by 10 ft
deep.

remember the beirut attack on us marines in 1983?

could this be a new record for the largest non-nuclear explosion?  probably
not, but then again, iirc, the beruit explosion was 400lbs of C4 (or chech
semtex) and it was estimated to be equiv of 15K-21K of tnt (see below.)

so perhaps the 58K of explosives in spanish fork were not tnt, but something
less powerful.

October 23rd 1983:
"A truck full of explosives ripped through the Marine barracks on October
23rd, 1983, killing 241 U.S. Marines, sailors and soldiers."

"The resulting explosion was the largest non-nuclear explosion that had ever
been detonated on the face of the Earth," the court order read. It was equal
in force to between 15,000 and 21,000 pounds of TNT."

"All the windows at the airport control tower, half a mile away, shattered.
A crater eight feet deep was carved into the earth, and 15 feet of rubble
was all that remained of the four-story Marine barracks."

"The force of its impact ripped locked doors from their doorjambs at the
nearest building, which was 256 feet away," read the ruling by U.S. District
Court Judge Royce C. Lamberth. "Trees located 370 feet away were shredded
and completely exfoliated."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/23/world/main579638.shtml

Josh Coates
www.jcoates.org