Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:45:54 MDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Dennis <devel at muhlesteins.com> wrote:
> I've used xdoclet for hibernate and tried it with Struts.  The
> application used a lot of things that xdoclet didn't support.  Perhaps
> that has changed since I wrote it.  The point I was trying to make is
> that some frameworks don't have to mess with as much xml.   Even if you
> use xdoclet, you still have to understand the xml, and then you have to
> understand xdoclet, then you have an additional layer of debugging to
> find out what is wrong if something doesn't work.

Curious.  What things did you used that xdoclet did not support?
Could you give an example?

> On a side note, I'm not of the crowd, but there is a crowd that will
> argue that xdoclet is of the devil :) :) and causes more pain than it's
> worth.

I'm in that camp.  I think that code generation is generally evil (but
I do think it's 100 times better than hand-crafting XML config files).
 Java 5 annotations address my concerns completely.  So if you're
working on a project that is pre-Java 5 then you'll have to settle for
xdoclet, otherwise, use annotations (a.k.a. metadata).

-Bryan