[OT] News in the valley...

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:40:42 MDT 2005

Gabriel Gunderson wrote:

>I know a lot of you are closer to your email then to the TV so I thought
>you would share some breaking news.
>
>>From KSL (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=92793)
>
>Highway 6 Shut Down
>August 10th, 2005 @ 3:24pm
>
>"	A tanker truck carrying some sort of explosive material overturned and
>exploded this afternoon on Highway 6, up Spanish Fork Canyon. It caught
>fire and exploded.
>	Highway 6 is shut down in both directions and is expected to remain so
>for up to eight hours. The accident was reported about 1:30. It's about
>10 miles up Spanish Fork Canyon, just east of the Thistle Fork
>Junction."
>
>I don't know how they plan on having it open in eight hours.  Judging
>from the size of the crater, if looks like it would be more like days.
>There goes my weekend camping trip.
>
>Back to your regularly scheduled programing...
>
>Gabe
>
>.-----------------------------------.
>| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
>|      Don't Fear the Penguin.      |
>|  IRC: #utah at irc.freenode.net   |
>`-----------------------------------'

They can route traffic around the damaged area, onto the old state hwy
that they shut down after the flood of 1982.  It'll be bumpy but it can
accomodate a pretty heavy flow of traffic.

As for more details...
Truck was carrying 58,000 lbs of explosives.  Crater is 60ft wide by 10
ft deep.  Fires have been ignited on the hillside, and are growing in
intensity.

The accident is at mile marker 191 Red Narrows area (this is where every
accident I've ever seen has occured), traffic is stopped and being told
to turn around, at the Thistle Fork area (about 15 miles form the actual
scene of the accident)

Judging from the shape of the crater and it's position, the truck was
heading towards the Trojan explosives plant at the mouth of Spanish Fork
Canyon.

2News is having a live report from a chopper in the area, I am typing
this while watching TV so sorry for typos.