Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:29:50 MDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Dennis <devel at muhlesteins.com> wrote:
> http://jamesholmes.com/struts/
>
> It works ok and edits just fine, but you still have to wade through the
> information and search around when you want to change something.  Want
> to delete a page?  Can't just delete the page, you have to find the
> action mapping, delete that, find the form bean (if exists) and delete
> it, find the pages defined in the tiles file, remove those.  Oops,
> better first dig through all the other actions and make sure you weren't
> using that view from more than one controller.  Oops, what is this
> definition here... better search through and find which action uses it etc.

You need to use XDoclet or Java 5 annotations.  You only maintain Java
source files (who happen to have to struts config embedded).  It
really is simple.

> Not saying it is all bad, just that the maintenance is not as glamourous
> as the developers portray I think.  Especially when my graphics/html
> gurus want to change things.  Struts/Tiles creates something else they
> have to learn too.  If you have a separate team in charge of design,
> Tapestry might be better than Struts.  I haven't used it myself though.

If you have heavy involvement from designers, then you need to be
using XMLC.  The page that the designer creates, never changes -- no
code is added whatsoever.  The HTML or XHTML file is parsed into a DOM
and manipulated at runtime.  The designer is free to make changes to
the HTML pages whenever they want.  They just need to make sure that
the "id" attribute on dynamic elements doesn't change.

The application I'm working on now has heavy involvment from
designers.  We use XMLC and it is really slick.  The designers don't
need to know anything about the programming side.

Check out:  http://xmlc.objectweb.org/

-Bryan