Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

JStay at mediageneral.com JStay at mediageneral.com
Wed Aug 10 14:38:30 MDT 2005

> Can you mention some of the reasons you like Catalyst more than Rails?
>
> -Dennis

I just don't like Rails because everyone is hyping it as a "the next and
best new thing", whereas MVC-based framework models have been around for
awhile.  To tell you the truth I haven't tried it yet so I can't give an
unbiased opinion at the moment.  I would be interested in seeing a
comparison however.  I like Catalyst because a) it's Perl, b) it's
self-sufficient (has it's own server for testing and development), c)
its configuration is in Perl, d) it accepts regex's as url listeners, e)
I like the maintainer's name, and f) it's Perl.  There's a good article
by Jesse Sheidlower, the maintainer/pump king of Catalyst explaining how
to get an AJAX-based WIKI up in 30 lines of code that to me explains it
all:

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/06/02/catalyst.html

Jesse