Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Dennis devel at muhlesteins.com
Wed Aug 10 14:33:21 MDT 2005

Grant Shipley wrote:

>On 8/10/05, Dennis <devel at muhlesteins.com> wrote:
>

>>Dennis wrote:
>>To be fair, some of that was in articles, support, other resources,
>>etc.  Also, the project uses Hibernate and that has it's own fair share
>>of xml.  There are still 3 or 4 thousand lines of Struts/Tiles xml though.
>>

>But hopefully you are using an editor/ide that will create these for you?

http://jamesholmes.com/struts/

It works ok and edits just fine, but you still have to wade through the
information and search around when you want to change something.  Want
to delete a page?  Can't just delete the page, you have to find the
action mapping, delete that, find the form bean (if exists) and delete
it, find the pages defined in the tiles file, remove those.  Oops,
better first dig through all the other actions and make sure you weren't
using that view from more than one controller.  Oops, what is this
definition here... better search through and find which action uses it etc.

Not saying it is all bad, just that the maintenance is not as glamourous
as the developers portray I think.  Especially when my graphics/html
gurus want to change things.  Struts/Tiles creates something else they
have to learn too.  If you have a separate team in charge of design,
Tapestry might be better than Struts.  I haven't used it myself though.

-Dennis