Struts, Spring, Tapestry, oh my!

Al Byers byersa at automationgroups.com
Wed Aug 10 13:47:56 MDT 2005

Thanks, I haven't had an opportunity to plug Open for Business
(http://www.ofbiz.org) for some time now. OFBiz is really two things -
an innovative framework for developing applications and a suite of
quality ERP modules (strong e-commerce, back office and manufacturing).
It is java based, but skips the bloated bean oriented approach of most
frameworks in favor of a service oriented architecture. It  has an
entity engine like Hibernate that lets it be database agnostic, but it
is driven by xml config files instead of classes. When you think about
it, it is overkill to be building classes just for simple persistence.
It has an xml-based UI approach that is a couple iterations past JSPs
(it handles those, too, though).

 It actually started here in Utah and the lead on it, David Jones, is
here now. There are a number of companies in Utah that do use it. We had
a users group going at one time and will probably start it up again
soon. In my mind, OFBiz is what can happen if you have one or two genius
types create something (as opposed to something that is driven by
committees and hidden agendas) and let the open source community come
along behind and validate, test and enhance. We just had our third
annual users conference in St. Louis.

-Al Byers