Maddening print spools

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Aug 5 14:21:42 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 14:13 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 14:00 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > This is getting to the point where it's driving me crazy. Samba 3 PDC on
> > RHEL3 using CUPS. When windows users look at the print queue they see
> > all kinds of old jobs that completed long long ago. lpq reports the true
> > queue. I've checked the samba spool directory (/var/spool/samba) and
> > there's nothing hanging around in there.
>
> I have also seen this problem on occasion, but I never have found a
> solution.  The fact that nothing on the server can be found make me
> wonder if it's not Windows itself being stupid, which is a distinct
> possibility.  I once had a machine that faithfully logged into a domain
> (complete with a roaming profile) that didn't exist anymore. Weird
> stuff.

The domain stuff is actually the way it's designed to work. Windows
keeps a local cache of authentication credentials so that it can work in
a situation where the network is offline. It also caches the profiles.
So I'm not surprised at that behavior at all. Windows probably assumes
you've got the network cable unplugged. Whether that's good behavior or
not is a different question.

Sorry, Hans, I don't know the answer either.

Corey