MP3 patent issues?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Aug 3 12:50:18 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 12:44 -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> This is the 3rd "use ogg vorbis" suggestion I have received.  Although
> Ogg Vorbis would be great for my personal use, trying to convert large
> clients who are set in their ways is not easy.  If you think having an
> MP3 requirement is bad, try dealing with a Internet Explorer requirement
> for all the web content we develop for them.  :-)

I'll be honest here and say that I don't understand how this would be a
problem.  I really don't.

If you have an mp3 requirement then you need to buy a licensed
encoder/decoder package.  Pure and simple.  For you the content
producer, there is no other choice.  This is business, as they say.

One other solution is to deliver the audio via flash.

Michael