MP3 patent issues?

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Wed Aug 3 11:40:42 MDT 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 10:46 AM, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> How about if I take a WAV file, encode it with LameMP3 and send it
> to a client?  Would this violate the MP3 patent?

The patent and licensing problems only affect the developers of
encoders and decoders.  In this description it is not you who are the
violator, but the developers of LameMP3 who are the violators.

You only need to be concerned if you develop an encoder/decoder for
commercial use.

Note: Just because it is open-source doesn't mean it is non-
commercial.  RedHat won't distribute MP3 tools because that is
commercial use, distributing MP3 encoders/decoders.

After all is said and done, the end-user doesn't need to worry about
getting sued.  Just the developers and distributers.  Now you can
worry about them getting sued, and no longer having a great encoder/
decoder.  :(

--lonnie