Getting Novell Linux Desktop to work

ArchAngel_Nix nix at holleyinc.com
Tue Aug 2 15:07:18 MDT 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 9:40 PM, Daniel Timpson wrote:

>> I put a PCI NIC in the machine and ran all the system updates via Red
>> Carpet. I downloaded the drivers from Intel's page, but no success. I
>> heard that some one at Novell figured it out, once, but I don't know
>> who or how.
>>
>> I don't know if any one here can help, but I just don't know enough to
>> get the job done.
>

> I've done this exact thing without any problems.  If you go to the
> following link you will find a tar.gz for Novell Linux Desktop that
> should get you well on your way.
>
> http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/ev/ev_drive.htm#nl9
>
> If those drivers were the ones you used and you're still having
> problems what errors do you see?

Those are the drivers I used. What errors do I see? None.

Linux can see the hardware, it just doesn't do anything with it. Linux
says it has configured my NIC but I don't get a link light or an
activity light. Linux see's the sound controller as well, but says,
"The number of currently running cards doesn't match the number of
configured cards in your configuration file. Try to restart sound
system?" I hit okay and nothing changes. The "sound card" is still not
running. So to say I get errors isn't accurate, but I know it is not
working.