Software for Starving Students and LUG Documentation Wiki

Jordan Gunderson jordy at gundy.org
Mon Aug 1 18:52:13 MDT 2005

Hey all,

Lars Rasmussen of UVLUG expressed interest in helping get the Software
for Starving Students (SSS) packages up-to-date so that we can
distribute them at the membership drives we plan on doing early next
semester.

I've set up a skeleton page on the UVLUG wiki to help facilitate these
updates, etc.  Lars has put in some package info, but there's much more
to do.  We're willing to set up an SSS mailing list (rather that triple
posting to 3 lists), help pay for CD media out of our club funds, set up
a package repository, or any anything else that project founders would
like us to do.

If I'm stepping on anyone’s toes here, let me know and we'll cease and
desist.  (We don't want to duplicate effort or steal anybody's baby.)
Otherwise, I think this would be good resource to make sure this cool
project doesn't go away.

Here's the link:
http://uvlug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=docs:programs:sss

If there's anything that needs edited, feel free to edit away –especial
you SSS project leaders.

On a related note, we're putting together a LUG documentation wiki to
help ensure that UVLUG doesn't die with the high amount of leadership
turnover that is inherent in collegiate organizations.  We hope it also
serves as a valuable repository of info for anyone trying to start out a
new lug in their area.  (I would have liked a manual when I started UVLUG).

At a NUI conference that some of the local LUG leaders attended, I was
really impressed with how many user groups out there hungered for
information on how to set up and operate a LUG.  I was also impressed
with the sheer volume of good info that attendees had to share.  The
presenters could hardly shut them up.  :)

I've read the famous "LUG HOWTO", but there seems to be so much more
that could be added.  We want the LUG documentation wiki to include
everything from how to host an InstallFest, to who to contact for LUG
swag, etc.  I know there are a lot of people on these lists that have
just such expertise.  Just head there and start adding stuff.

Anyway, here’s the LUG documentation wiki:
http://uvlug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=docs:programs

There is also a link to it from our main page (in case you don't want to
keep this email forever).  Thanks everyone, and sorry for the long post.

Happy contributing,
Jordan Gunderson
http://uvlug.org/