need a suggestion

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Apr 30 13:02:27 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 11:42 -0700, y ml2 wrote:
> Can I work most optimal in most programming jobs with dvorak?  (Is
> there any risk to learn   programming with dvorak?)

Using Dvorak in the work place can be a major hazard. Every time a
co-worker tries to type on your keyboard and discovers it has been
remapped, he will be filled with an insane urge to beat you with your
own keyboard.

I know we have the some Dvorak users on the list, so I'll let that tell
you how wonderful it is. But just in case they don't, let me remind you
how long it took to learn to touch type qwerty. You will be hit by an
initial slow down while you learn a new mapping. Afterwards, you'll
still have to know qwerty for when you use another person's keyboard.
Myself, I already type faster than I can think. Just doesn't seem worth
it.

Now if I were crazy enough to program in java, on th other hand...

Stuart Jansen                   e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org

using enough of it." - Chris Maden