k3b and dvd problems

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Apr 26 09:57:54 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 09:55 am, Stephen Shaw wrote:
> I keep getting bad burns with my dvd burner and k3b.  K3b will report
> that it was successful but if you do a data check on it, it comes back
> bad.  You can also tell by the amount of written data on the disk.  Any
> ideas as to why it might do this?  Am I the only one having this
> problem?

I'm also not having success with DVD burning.
I'm using gentoo, kernel 2.6.11, xcdroast and cdrecord-dvdpro-whatever it is.
It burns cds fine, and will successfully complete a dummy-mode DVD burn, but
I've only managed to make coasters when trying to burn a DVD for real.

It keeps reporting drive errors, but I suspect it's software/drivers and not
hardware.

I am not using the ide-scsi stuff, despite what the software warns and
suggests, since the kernel config (and Linus on l-k) says it is depracated
and not the way to do things anymore...

Any ideas where to even start?

--
Respectfully,