Xorg problems

Jordan Curzon curzonj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:32:17 MDT 2005

I was swaping around video cards and my Xorg setup decided that my
monitor is now incapable. Previously it use 1024x768 but now it thinks
that it's hsync can only be 28-33. Using the original xorg.conf file
produces the exact same results. The change actually happened when I
swaped video cards of the same chip so there was no config change when
it flipped out. I have set the hsync as follows but the x server seems
to ignore it.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Panasonic"
        HorizSync   30-70
        VertRefresh 50-160
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

(II) ATI(0): Panasonic: Using default hsync range of 28.00-33.00 kHz
(II) ATI(0): Panasonic: Using default vrefresh range of 43.00-72.00 Hz

I am using a ati card and the only funny thing I see in the log is:

(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE DDC Level none
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 2 sec.
(II) ATI(0): VESA VBE DDC read failed

My understanding is that DDC tells the graphics card what the
monitor's capabilities are, but regardless, why would the xserver
ignore my hsync settings. Any ideas of what to look in to?

Thanks,
Jordan Curzon