Spamassassin Setup

John Nielsen lists at
Wed Apr 20 18:27:36 MDT 2005

Quoting Kirk <kirk at>:

> I am attempting to setup Spamassassin on Redhat Enterprise 3.
> I have installed SpamAssassin version 3.0.2
> I am running sendmail 8.12.11.
> I have procmail, and know that it is working properly.
> I thought I should see new headers in the email such as spam_score or
> something.
> I do not see any new headers, I dont think its working.
> Please Help.
> /home/username/.procmailrc looks like
> :O
> | spamc

That should be adequate to test with.  Mine looks like this:

        * < 256000
        | /usr/local/bin/spamc -d

In a nutshell, that says "if spamassassin hasn't been run on this message
on this host and the message is smaller than 256K, run spamc."

I would make sure that spamd is running as well.  I run it with these
"-a -x -d -u spamd -H /usr/home/spamd -i -A

I have sendmail and spamassassin log to the same place (namely syslog), so
it's easy to watch the chain of events when a message comes in.

I hope this gives you an idea.  I'm happy to answer any further specific