Spamassassin Setup

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Apr 20 18:27:36 MDT 2005

Quoting Kirk <kirk at emstraffic.com>:

> I am attempting to setup Spamassassin on Redhat Enterprise 3.
> I have installed SpamAssassin version 3.0.2
> I am running sendmail 8.12.11.
> I have procmail, and know that it is working properly.
> I thought I should see new headers in the email such as spam_score or
> something.
> I do not see any new headers, I dont think its working.
> Please Help.
>
> /home/username/.procmailrc looks like
>
> :O
> | spamc

That should be adequate to test with.  Mine looks like this:

DROPPRIVS=yes

:0f
{
        :0fw
        * < 256000
        | /usr/local/bin/spamc -d ns1.jnielsen.net
}

In a nutshell, that says "if spamassassin hasn't been run on this message
on this host and the message is smaller than 256K, run spamc."

I would make sure that spamd is running as well.  I run it with these
flags:
"-a -x -d -u spamd -H /usr/home/spamd -i 69.55.238.237 -A 69.55.238.237
--syslog-socket=unix"

I have sendmail and spamassassin log to the same place (namely syslog), so
it's easy to watch the chain of events when a message comes in.

I hope this gives you an idea.  I'm happy to answer any further specific
questions.

JN