Acrobat Reader 7.0

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Apr 16 09:01:59 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 19:06 -0600, Jared Bernard wrote:
> I just installed Adobe's Acrobat Reader mostly because I needed to rotate a
> pdf because it was scanned sideways and KGhostView didn't have that option. I
> then opened Xpdf which does have that option but it's lacking in other
> features that I like, for example the "grab scroll" function and the page
> layout feature in the left column (which KGhostView did have).

A program called gv can rotate pdfs (or postscript files too) on the
screen.  The interface is a bit primitive but it works.

I use Adobe Reader on occasion because it does support filling in of
forms (but you can't save them) and has a plugin to integrate into the
browser which is nice.  Some pdfs can only be displayed in the browser
because they have links to other pdf files and for some reason when you
try to display them in Adobe Reader (separately from the browser), they
don't work.  Reader complains that it can't find the files when you
click on a link in an index, for example, that points to another url.
Very annoying on Mac since Adobe provides no integrated browser plugin
for that platform.

> I'm really enjoying it. There are huge improvements from the old 5.0 for
> Linux. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else has tried the new Acrobat
> Reader and what they thought of it? I know some of you are strict OSS only,
> are there any OSS options that have all the features of this new Adobe
> Reader?

I don't think any OSS offering for viewers can do forms at this moment.
I've heard that Scribus can import pdfs and let you fill in the forms
and save them, but I've never tried this.  Also (and this is a bad
thing) some newer pdf files seem to only work in Adobe Reader.  This is
due to encryption or some newer, more proprietary specification of the
PDF format I think.  PDF is certainly a mixed blessing.

Michael