bash: check for network

Justin Gedge jgedge at amis.com
Fri Apr 15 11:17:12 MDT 2005

This is where you get back to the whole mess of using grep.  You don't
want to check wether ping ran or not-- you want to check what the
results of ping were.  Pipe the results of ping through grep-- and
filter on " 0%" or  " 100%".  Also-- putting the -w for timout is good
too-- otherwise ping may sit there for quite a while.  I figure-- on a
good network [locally] if your ping is over 1s there are other problems
at large.

justin gedge