Install Debian in 5 minutes

Sean Kirkby skirkby at concentrico.net
Wed Apr 13 13:48:56 MDT 2005

Cheeze whiz, don't be so apologetic!  This IS a Linux Users Group, after
all...

If this group can abide such off-topics as religion, the economy, and
whether or not customer loyalty programs at the local supermarket invade
ones privacy, I certainly think we would gladly welcome some news about,
well, uh... Linux.

BTW, sounds like a great distro... I have an old PII 233 with 32MB of
RAM acting as my firewall at home... currently runs RH7.3.  Maybe I'll
give DSL a try (despite the dirty words in its title :-).

Thanks.

--sk.

>>> jared.bernard at gmail.com 4/13/2005 1:04:53 PM >>>
I'm sure that no one really cares but one of my favorite distros, Damn
Small
Linux (DSL) just reached ver 1.0. I've been following and testing this
Distro
since ver. 0.3.x and it has come a long way since. I think some of you
might
be impressed with it as well.
It's a minimalist liveCD distro, just shy of 50 mb, based off Knoppix,

meaning Knoppix HW detection. I'm just amazed at what they can fit in
just
50mb. It works great as a rescue CD. I now use it as my main distro on
my
laptop.  When installed on to a HD it's just short of 200 mb. It runs
fluxbox
and has it's own control panel, runs firefox and has apt/synaptic, so
you can
customize and add all the new apps you want. It even has a web server
(monkey). I'm not a programmer so I can't give any in site to it's
default
development tools, but with apt those can easily be installed.
You can install it on to a flash thumb drive. It's great for old
machine's, I
have an old PI 133 64mb RAM 1.5 GB HD laptop that now is faster then
it's
ever been. It took only about 5 mins to install on this laptop. The DSL
site
has someone claiming to have it running on a 486SX33 and 486DX2 both
with 16
mb RAM.
Those interested in this cool distro can read more about it
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/index.html . It has a very active forum
and
community following it.

I apologize for those who could care less about the above. I'm just
really
involved in this project and I'm really impressed with how it was
developed
and it finally reached ver 1. I tried to explain all this to my wife
and she
could care less, so I though I would try a more sympathetic audience
who has
an appreciation for cool nerd stuff. Thanks for allowing me to have a
place
to express some of my enthusiasm.

JB

| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |