Install Debian in 5 minutes

Jared Bernard jared.bernard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 13:04:53 MDT 2005

I'm sure that no one really cares but one of my favorite distros, Damn Small
Linux (DSL) just reached ver 1.0. I've been following and testing this Distro
since ver. 0.3.x and it has come a long way since. I think some of you might
be impressed with it as well.
 It's a minimalist liveCD distro, just shy of 50 mb, based off Knoppix,
meaning Knoppix HW detection. I'm just amazed at what they can fit in just
50mb. It works great as a rescue CD. I now use it as my main distro on my
laptop.  When installed on to a HD it's just short of 200 mb. It runs fluxbox
and has it's own control panel, runs firefox and has apt/synaptic, so you can
customize and add all the new apps you want. It even has a web server
(monkey). I'm not a programmer so I can't give any in site to it's default
development tools, but with apt those can easily be installed.
 You can install it on to a flash thumb drive. It's great for old machine's, I
have an old PI 133 64mb RAM 1.5 GB HD laptop that now is faster then it's
ever been. It took only about 5 mins to install on this laptop. The DSL site
has someone claiming to have it running on a 486SX33 and 486DX2 both with 16
mb RAM.
 Those interested in this cool distro can read more about it
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/index.html . It has a very active forum and
community following it.

 I apologize for those who could care less about the above. I'm just really
involved in this project and I'm really impressed with how it was developed
and it finally reached ver 1. I tried to explain all this to my wife and she
could care less, so I though I would try a more sympathetic audience who has
an appreciation for cool nerd stuff. Thanks for allowing me to have a place
to express some of my enthusiasm.

JB