Dead gateway detection

C. Ed Felt ed at thefelts.net
Wed Apr 13 10:51:50 MDT 2005

Gabriel Gunderson:

I wrote a Python script (soooo much easier than perl :-) ) that uses
ping but also has a backoff algorithm built in, (only does what it needs
to on a 1, then 5, then 10 etc. on up to 40 min. interval).  I also just
use cron to run the script every minute.  With an RPS-10 (about $90)
hooked to the COM port on the server, it actually reboots the DSL Modem
if the ping fails via an expect script.  I also have cron save a log
file (with ">>") each time so we can look back and see if and when the
connection is going down.  If I had time I would probably update it to
use a databse.  If you wanted to watch for a dead gateway in real time,
you would just have to put what I have done in a while loop and run it
(no cron).  In short, ping is the only way I know of to watch for a dead
gateway, unless you want to so some SNMP level programming, (which
Python has a module for).

Let me know if you would like me to send it to you,

-Ed

P.S.:
I have some asterisk questions, (IPCentrex, Voice Mail, Call routing,
H323<-->SIP translation etc.), any Asterisk experts out there?