XGI video cards

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Apr 12 22:38:36 MDT 2005

Recently I heard about a company called XGI that produces graphics
chipsets to rival nNidia and ATI.  To top it off they release full open
source drivers for linux (x.org or xfree86) [1].  I am not sure of their
wide availability in boards, but I have seen one place that offers XGI
video cards for a quite reasonable price [2].  buy.com has a very low
end XGI card (with good reviews) for pretty cheap also [3].

Has anyone had experience with XGI cards generally?  Tom's Hardware gave
these cards a good review, but they were only using beta drivers at the
time so there were performance and quality (directx) issues.

I don't use much 3d opengl stuff, but I would like something that can
handle the demands of x.org's new features as well as make my glshots
screensaver actually pan and zoom!

If the cards are decent, and given XGI's linux commitment I think I may
move to XGI.  Please tell me any opinions.

Michael

[1] http://www.xgitech.com/about/about_press1.asp?CTID={C3FD7D03-6BE1-4BB9-9F34-1221E723B87F}
[2] http://www.directron.com/xgi.html
[3] http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0