April Plug meeting reminder...

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Tue Apr 12 16:22:24 MDT 2005

Fozz wrote:

> Now, in all honesty, I haven't built any web apps in Java. I've read
> a couple books to make sure I understand what would be entailed if
> ever I was so lucky to have to maintain a Java-based web app, but
> that's about it. The amount of work necessary to deploy a Hello World
> application in JSP, for example, is, in a word, ridiculous.

Whee, let the religious flame-wars begin! :)

As someone who *has* programmed extensively in both Java and PHP, and
built web apps with both, I can attest that PHP is definitely the
faster, easier, and more efficient way to go.  For a small staff, it's
much easier to build and maintain; for a small application, it's much
faster to get something running.

This isn't to say there's no place for Java and JSP.  I think that
"enterprise level" solutions might benefit from a rigorous class
hierarchy and a vast network of inter-related beans and whatnot.  On
the other hand, PHP could accomplish the same thing-- it's
object-oriented capabilities are quite robust.

As in all things open-source, the power of a tool depends greatly on the
hands that wield it. :)

$0.02,
Jeff