April Plug meeting reminder...

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Tue Apr 12 16:17:13 MDT 2005

Not long ago, Roberto Mello proclaimed...
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:23:23PM -0600, Doran Barton wrote:
> >
> > But Roberto isn't bitter or anything. ;-)
>
> No, I'm not. I'm a pretty optimistic/upbeat person actually.

And I can attest to this. Roberto's a great guy. Just don't mention Java...
or Dr. Nelson Dinerstein. heh heh.

One of my clients recently decided it was time to move from developing
applications in Perl and MySQL to PHP and Oracle. I fail to understand why
and I expressed my in ability to understand. Now, they're talking about
building their next generation of software in Java. My jaw hit the floor. I
warned them to be prepared to triple the size of their programming staff
and be prepared for half of their programmers' time to be spend in
meetings.

Now, in all honesty, I haven't built any web apps in Java. I've read a
couple books to make sure I understand what would be entailed if ever I was
so lucky to have to maintain a Java-based web app, but that's about it. The
amount of work necessary to deploy a Hello World application in JSP, for
example, is, in a word, ridiculous.

-=Fozz

 "Gland opening every month"
    -- Seen in a bar