fetchmail & pine

Byron Clark byron at theclarkfamily.name
Tue Apr 12 13:10:34 MDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:19:27PM -0600, Jared Bernard wrote:
> If I understand correctly, fetchmail retrieves the email and places it
> locally. What I don't understand is, where does it put it so I can point Pine
> to it? I haven't been able to find an answer to that by googling. Pine then
> should be able to read that pulled email.

This is the part that isn't quite right.  fetchmail retrieves the email
and sends it to the local MTA/MDA to deliver (place) the message.

For more information on how this works, here is the relevant section of
the manpage (fetchmail(1)):

    As each message is retrieved fetchmail normally delivers it via SMTP
    to port 25 on the machine it is running on (localhost), just as
    though  it were  being passed in over a normal TCP/IP link.  The
    mail will then be delivered locally via your system's MDA (Mail
    Delivery  Agent,  usually sendmail(8)  but  your  system  may  use a
    different one such as smail, mmdf, exim, or qmail).  All the
    delivery-control  mechanisms  (such as .forward  files)  normally
    available through your system MDA and local delivery agents will
    therefore work automatically.

    If no port 25 listener is available, you must configure Debian
    fetchmail explicitly to use an MDA.

If you have procmail installed you can have fetchmail use procmail to
deliver mail with the following command:

fetchmail -m "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

--
Byron Clark                     |       http://www.byronandannie.net