fetchmail & pine

Byron Clark byron at theclarkfamily.name
Mon Apr 11 20:43:38 MDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:32:52PM -0600, Jared Bernard wrote:
> On Monday 11 April 2005 7:27, Byron Clark wrote:
> > My guess is that you either don't have an MTA
> > (Postfix/Sendmail/Qmail/etc) running on the box
>
> I thought that's what fetchmail was?

From fetchmail(1):
fetchmail  is  a mail-retrieval and forwarding utility; it fetches mail
from  remote  mailservers  and  forwards  it  to  your  local (client)
machine's  delivery  system.

In other words, you need an MTA for fetchmail to send the mail to, all
the MTA needs to be configured to do is local delivery.

> > or your firewall is
> > blocking port 25 connections from localhost.
>
> I doubt that's the issue because kmail is working fine on this system.

I don't use kmail, but I'm pretty sure it uses SMTP (port 25) on a
remote system or /usr/sbin/sendmail on the local system.

--
Byron Clark                     |       http://www.byronandannie.net